Arizona Diamondbacks unveil 25-man roster for 2014 home opener
Of the 25 players to make the roster, 11 were not on the D-backs' big league club when they opened the 2013 season against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Because of injuries to pitcher Patrick Corbin (torn UCL), pitcher David Hernandez (torn UCL) and outfielder Cody Ross (right hip contusion), the D-backs' roster was adjusted accordingly with 13 pitchers and 12 position players.
"You never want injuries at all," Towers said. "But if it were up to me, I'd rather have it before the season starts, so you can kind of start the season with fresh and healthy people. We lost our number one starter and our setup guy. It's tough to overcome, but it happens in baseball."
Randall Delgado (TBD)
Chris Owings beat out Didi Gregorius, the incumbent, at shortstop. Gregorius will begin the season with Triple-A Reno.
"There's a little relief," Owings said. "I've been working real hard this spring. It was a long, tough competition, especially this spring with it being a little longer. I'm just excited to get that news and go on and get ready for the year."
At catcher, Tuffy Gosewisch beat out Henry Blanco for the back-up slot behind Miguel Montero. Towers noted that the team with try to move the veteran backstop, but if there isn't interest he'll become the team's seventh coach.
"I'm not sure I can express how happy I am," Gosewisch said. "I'm not sure it's set in yet. I'm really excited and glad I'm coming back Monday."
Brandon McCarthy will start the home opener against San Francisco left-hander Madison Bumgarner. He'll be followed in the rotation by Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill and Bronson Arroyo. Arizona's starter for the road opener April 4 in Colorado has yet to be determined.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.