D-backs manager Kirk Gibson not concerned about outside perception of team
But as Gibson detailed before Saturday's final tune-up of the spring at Chase Field, he's not too concerned with the outside noise.
"I know what we believe in," Gibson said. "That's the important thing. I understand that people ride the emotional roller coaster. But, being involved at our level, that's not what you do.
"You write your own story and your own vision. That's why you play the season."
It's understandable why expectations might not be too high when it comes to the Valley's major league squad heading into Monday's home opener.
The D-backs share the National League West with a team that boasts the league's highest payroll and a bevy of star power to boot in the Los Angeles Dodgers. Not to mention, the San Francisco also reside in the division and are just two seasons removed from a World Series title.
Add in season-ending arm injuries to de facto ace Patrick Corbin and eighth inning reliever David Hernandez, and it seems like writing off the D-backs would prove to be the easiest option.
But predictions are just that. Predictions.
"There's going to be several predictions on who is going to win it," said Gibson. "Obviously, I've asked you guys this before, but what percentage of you are right? Really. Nobody knows. We don't know. You don't know.
"That's what's exciting. We get to find out. We get to start the journey to find out. That's the fun part about it. Players and athletes and people who compete and believe in themselves, they actually cherish people doubting them. So, that all begins on Monday."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.