D-backs manager Kirk Gibson not concerned about outside perception of team
But as Gibson detailed before Saturday's final tune-up of the spring at Chase Field, he's not too concerned with the outside noise.
"I know what we believe in," Gibson said. "That's the important thing. I understand that people ride the emotional roller coaster. But, being involved at our level, that's not what you do.
"You write your own story and your own vision. That's why you play the season."
It's understandable why expectations might not be too high when it comes to the Valley's major league squad heading into Monday's home opener.
The D-backs share the National League West with a team that boasts the league's highest payroll and a bevy of star power to boot in the Los Angeles Dodgers. Not to mention, the San Francisco also reside in the division and are just two seasons removed from a World Series title.
Add in season-ending arm injuries to de facto ace Patrick Corbin and eighth inning reliever David Hernandez, and it seems like writing off the D-backs would prove to be the easiest option.
But predictions are just that. Predictions.
"There's going to be several predictions on who is going to win it," said Gibson. "Obviously, I've asked you guys this before, but what percentage of you are right? Really. Nobody knows. We don't know. You don't know.
"That's what's exciting. We get to find out. We get to start the journey to find out. That's the fun part about it. Players and athletes and people who compete and believe in themselves, they actually cherish people doubting them. So, that all begins on Monday."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.