D-backs manager is batting Martin Prado cleanup for a reason
Instead that responsibility will fall on Martin Prado.
A guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Monday, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson explained the decision.
"He's a better true hitter. He's virtually a lifetime .300 hitter, he can handle the bat," Gibson said. "If they want to pitch around Goldy and we have multiple guys on I want to be able to do things with Prado.
"And the other thing is I want to try and get guys on base; he gets on base pretty good."
Prado hit .282 with 14 home runs and 82 RBI last year in his first season as a Diamondback, but is a career .292 hitter with a .342 on-base percentage.
And Trumbo, who was brought over from the Los Angeles Angels, is coming off a season in which he mashed 34 home runs and drove in 100 but hit just .234 and had an on-base percentage of .294.
It came down to power or contact, and Gibson is clearly choosing the latter.
"I want to get guys on base so if Goldy cleans them up I want to get some guys on base before Trumbo again as well, because hopefully Goldy hits them out of the park, Trumbo hits them out of the park," he said. "And the other thing with [Prado] is that I think he was a better hitter, he utilized his total game in the four spot.
"When I had him in the two-spot he was always hitting the ball through the three-four hole...and it didn't do him well."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.