Updated Mar 31, 2014 - 3:35 pm
D-backs President: A pitcher has to step up this season in place of Patrick Corbin
Corbin's absence leaves the D-backs with a starting rotation consisting of Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo and Randall Delgado.
The D-backs haven't had a 20-game winner since Ian Kennedy had a breakout season in 2011, and Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall says that since Corbin is not an option for the season, another pitcher is going to have to do what Kennedy did for the team three years ago.
After all, Hall said Kennedy is the reason the D-backs reached the playoffs that season.
"We need one of these guys to step up and have a season like Ian had, whether it is Cahill or McCarthy in a contract year, or Miley, who has certainly looked stellar in spring training," Hall told Doug and Wolf of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
"Randall Delgado is going to be nice filling in. I think Bronson Arroyo is complete a pitcher as you can ask for. The guy is solid and he's durable. But, one of them has to step up and have a season like Ian Kennedy had in 2011. You can't have five guys who are all pitching .500 or less. You're just not going to go anywhere."
Miley, just like his team, went .500 last season, while Cahill posted a 8-10 record. Both pitchers lost their first start of the season in Australia against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
McCarthy will take the mound Monday in the first of a four-game home-series against the San Francisco Giants. Miley and Cahill will start the second and third games of the series, respectively. Arroyo is scheduled to start the fourth.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.