Updated Mar 31, 2014 - 3:35 pm
D-backs President: A pitcher has to step up this season in place of Patrick Corbin
Corbin's absence leaves the D-backs with a starting rotation consisting of Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo and Randall Delgado.
The D-backs haven't had a 20-game winner since Ian Kennedy had a breakout season in 2011, and Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall says that since Corbin is not an option for the season, another pitcher is going to have to do what Kennedy did for the team three years ago.
After all, Hall said Kennedy is the reason the D-backs reached the playoffs that season.
"We need one of these guys to step up and have a season like Ian had, whether it is Cahill or McCarthy in a contract year, or Miley, who has certainly looked stellar in spring training," Hall told Doug and Wolf of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
"Randall Delgado is going to be nice filling in. I think Bronson Arroyo is complete a pitcher as you can ask for. The guy is solid and he's durable. But, one of them has to step up and have a season like Ian Kennedy had in 2011. You can't have five guys who are all pitching .500 or less. You're just not going to go anywhere."
Miley, just like his team, went .500 last season, while Cahill posted a 8-10 record. Both pitchers lost their first start of the season in Australia against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
McCarthy will take the mound Monday in the first of a four-game home-series against the San Francisco Giants. Miley and Cahill will start the second and third games of the series, respectively. Arroyo is scheduled to start the fourth.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.