D-backs GM Kevin Towers impressed with Wade Miley's Tuesday performance
The left-hander, making his second start of the season, was tagged for four runs on four hits -- the big one a three-run homer off the bat of San Francisco's resident D-backs killer Brandon Belt. Before some fans settled into their seats, Miley and Arizona trailed 4-0.
But the 2012 All-Star battled back, retiring 15 straight hitters after Belt's blast and holding the Giants scoreless over the next six innings and the Diamondbacks earned a 5-4 come-from-behind victory.
What was the big difference after the first inning for Miley?
"I think it was his tempo," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday morning. "Wade is usually good when he's getting the ball and going and I thought his tempo wasn't quite so good in the first inning, it really picked up after that and he started using all his pitches and getting his breaking ball down and out of the zone versus out over the plate."
On the night, Miley threw 92 pitches, 65 of which were strikes. Towers was impressed with his pitcher's in-game turnaround.
"That's the sign of your good pitchers. I think back to my years in the game and your good ones never give in," he said. "Even if they give up runs early, they try to shut the door from there and give your team a chance to still win.
"It was good, it was a good win."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.