Arizona Diamondbacks GM impressed with shortstop Chris Owings
Four games into the regular season it is easy to see why, as the 22-year-old is batting .462 with two runs scored and a stolen base.
The 2013 Pacific Coast League MVP, everyone knew the guy could hit. But where he trailed Gregorius was with the glove, and Owings has not exactly played a clean shortstop early in the season. He failed to come up with a fly ball down the third base line in the ninth inning Tuesday night, allowing the tying run to reach second base.
But still, the D-backs are very pleased with what they've seen from the middle infielder.
"He's swinging the bat real well," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday. "He's just one of those little pesky hitters. He can be off balance and still he's got those good, quick hands.
"He's been able to find that hole right between short and second quite a few times so far this year."
This is not Owings' first stint in the big leagues. A September call-up last season, he hit .291 in 55 at-bats.
But there is a big difference between being a September call-up and an Opening Day starter, and thus far Owings is doing all he can to justify the team's decision.
"For the competition he went through with Didi and to come out and hit close to .500 in his first three games, four games that he's been playing," Towers said. "Defensively I think he's been pretty good. [Tuesday] night I think the wind probably caught that ball and it did the same thing to Aaron Hill, handcuffed him as well.
"To me it's just steady defense, making the routine plays, and so far he's been able to do that and if he continues to swing the bat this well he might start finding himself moving up in the order."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?