There's nothing instant about replay
I didn't see this coming but obviously skippers have been thinking about the implementation of baseball's new instant replay policy. Bruce Bochy certainly was. Every time there was a close call he exited the dugout and waited for confirmation from a minion that the call should be challenged or not. It wasn't that he was vehemently arguing the call, he was just waiting to challenge the call.
This was an unintended consequence. Bochy just found the loophole.
This is going to prolong games and do exactly what Bud Selig and baseball executives do NOT want to see happen. If the manager comes running out of the dugout on every close play to speak to the umpires, waiting for confirmation from the dugout, they are really going to drag out games.
Forget about bad challenges or good challenges. Forget about every other stipulation, guideline of precept for instant replay. The purpose of instant replay is to get the calls right while not bringing the pace of play to a halt. And although Bochy had every right to do what he did, there was nothing "instant" about replay.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.