Updated Apr 2, 2014 - 12:50 pm
D-backs GM: No character flaws in Paul Goldschmidt
The NL MVP runner-up batted .302, hit 36 home runs and drove in 125 runs on his way to winning Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards and was also named to his first All-Star game.
According to D-backs GM Kevin Towers, it's not only what he does on the field, but it's what he does off of it that makes him unique.
"I have not found a flaw in this guy," Towers told Doug and Wolf of Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Every day it's something else."
Towers recalled when Goldschmidt took time after batting practice to meet and sign autographs for a little league team from Austin, Texas also named the Diamondbacks. The experience with the first baseman turned them into die-hard D-backs fans.
The news of Goldschmidt's class act even made its way to the D-backs front office.
"I walked into Derrick Hall's office and I said, ‘This is unbelievable,'" Towers said.
"It is incredible what he does on the field and who he is as a person. That's just who he is and we are incredibly, incredibly fortunate to have Paul Goldschmidt wearing that Diamondback uniform because he is an incredible role model."
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.