Hudson sparkles in Giants debut, beats D-Backs
Hudson (1-0) was making his first start since July 24 after fracturing his right ankle against the Mets while pitching for the Braves. The veteran right-hander had four strikeouts and no walks, and had Arizona hitters pounding the ball into the ground.
Arizona starter Trevor Cahill (0-1) held the Giants scoreless until the fifth. Angel Pagan singled in a run in the fifth and Michael Morse doubled in a run in the sixth to make it 2-0.
Sergio Romo shut down the Diamondbacks in order to record his second save.
The Diamondbacks threatened only twice with Hudson on the mound.
After Hudson retired the first nine hitters, Parra led off the fourth with a single to center, moved to second on a wild pitch but was stranded when Paul Goldschmidt struck out and Martin Prado flied to center.
In the seventh, Goldschmidt led off with a double but Hudson retired Prado on a fly to right, Miguel Montero flied to left and Mark Trumbo struck out.
Hudson tossed 103 pitches and improved to 8-1 against Arizona. He is 5-1 at Chase Field.
NOTES: With his seventh inning double, Goldschmidt extended his hitting streak to 24 games, tying Tony Womack for second in franchise history behind Luis Gonzalez (30 games) . Arizona RHP David Hernandez successfully underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow and begins rehab in Phoenix. . Arizona OF Cody Ross, on DL since March 22, will start for minor league Triple-A Reno Thursday on rehab assignment. . Tim Lincecum will start Thursday for San Francisco and Bronson Arroyo for Arizona.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.