Updated Apr 7, 2014 - 5:51 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks are struggling in the leadoff spot
Much, much more.
Through nine games this season in the one-hole, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock have combined to hit a woeful .158 with an on-base percentage of just .195.
Individually, Parra is hitting .250 with a .235 OBP, while Pollock is at .091 and .167.
If Pollock and Parra are the team's table setters, they're forgetting the silverware and dishes.
Following pitcher Wade Miley's three-hit effort in Sunday's win over Colorado, the leadoff spot is now carrying the lowest batting average on the team, behind the nine-hole's .182 average and .229 OBP.
While the sample size is incredibly small and the numbers are likely to improve, it's worth noting the D-backs have not typically had a "prototypical" leadoff hitter throughout the majority of their history.
From Devon White, Tony Womack and Craig Counsell to Stephen Drew, Chris Young and Willie Bloomquist -- and now Parra and Pollock -- Arizona has generally lacked someone who brought both speed and the ability to get on base to the table.
Interestingly enough, as recently as one year ago Adam Eaton was expected to be that guy. A terror all throughout the minor leagues, the outfielder seemed to carry the very skill set the franchise has lacked in that spot.
However, an injury suffered in spring training derailed Eaton's season, and a mid-season return to the lineup did not inspire confidence that he was going to be the player everyone hoped he would.
Eaton was then traded to the Chicago White Sox as part of the three-way deal that brought Mark Trumbo to Arizona. In six games with his new team this season Eaton, who has hit leadoff in every one of them, is batting .269 with an OBP of .333. He was caught stealing in his only attempt.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.