Updated Apr 7, 2014 - 5:51 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks are struggling in the leadoff spot
Much, much more.
Through nine games this season in the one-hole, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock have combined to hit a woeful .158 with an on-base percentage of just .195.
Individually, Parra is hitting .250 with a .235 OBP, while Pollock is at .091 and .167.
If Pollock and Parra are the team's table setters, they're forgetting the silverware and dishes.
Following pitcher Wade Miley's three-hit effort in Sunday's win over Colorado, the leadoff spot is now carrying the lowest batting average on the team, behind the nine-hole's .182 average and .229 OBP.
While the sample size is incredibly small and the numbers are likely to improve, it's worth noting the D-backs have not typically had a "prototypical" leadoff hitter throughout the majority of their history.
From Devon White, Tony Womack and Craig Counsell to Stephen Drew, Chris Young and Willie Bloomquist -- and now Parra and Pollock -- Arizona has generally lacked someone who brought both speed and the ability to get on base to the table.
Interestingly enough, as recently as one year ago Adam Eaton was expected to be that guy. A terror all throughout the minor leagues, the outfielder seemed to carry the very skill set the franchise has lacked in that spot.
However, an injury suffered in spring training derailed Eaton's season, and a mid-season return to the lineup did not inspire confidence that he was going to be the player everyone hoped he would.
Eaton was then traded to the Chicago White Sox as part of the three-way deal that brought Mark Trumbo to Arizona. In six games with his new team this season Eaton, who has hit leadoff in every one of them, is batting .269 with an OBP of .333. He was caught stealing in his only attempt.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.