Giants first baseman Brandon Belt continues to torch D-backs' pitching
To say the San Francisco Giants first baseman lives up to his surname would be an understatement against Arizona.
In the first inning of Tuesday's 7-3 win over the D-backs, Belt hammered a 1-2 sinker from starter Trevor Cahill for a two-run shot over the wall in right center.
The home run was his fifth of the season, four of which have come off of Arizona pitchers (Brandon McCarthy, Wade Miley, Bronson Arroyo and Cahill).
With his long ball off of Cahill in the home-opening victory at AT&T Park, Belt tied D-backs left fielder Mark Trumbo for the league lead in home runs with five.
He's the first Giant to have five home runs in the first eight games of the season since Jose Cruz Jr. (2003).
Dating back to the start of the 2013 campaign, Belt has eight home runs and 18 RBI in 76 at-bats against the D-backs.
Brandon Belt home runs vs. D-backs (2013-14)
|Date||Opposing Pitcher||Runs Scored||Distance||Outcome|
|4/23/13||J.J. Putz||2||388 Feet||L|
|4/29/13||Ian Kennedy||1||378 Feet||W|
|5/1/13||David Hernandez||3||388 Feet||W|
|6/9/13||Tyler Skaggs||1||388 Feet||W|
|3/31/14||Brandon McCarthy||2||414 Feet||W|
|4/1/14||Wade Miley||3||405 Feet||L|
|4/3/14||Bronson Arroyo||1||368 Feet||W|
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.