D-backs' Gibson: Josh Collmenter to join rotation in place of Randall Delgado
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson announced after Friday's 6-0 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers that right-hander Josh Collmenter will replace the struggling Randall Delgado in Arizona's pitching rotation.
Collmenter emerged as a starter on the D-backs' 2011 NL West championship team, but has found a more permanent and valuable role as a swing man in the bullpen. But with the struggles of the D-backs' starters -- they've combined for an ERA over six, and Delgado sports a 10.13 ERA -- Collmenter will likely prove more valuable in the rotation.
"We need innings out of guys that give us a chance to win the ball game," Gibson said. "Just looking at our options, we think it's the smartest way to go."
Collmenter will start on Monday against the New York Mets, while Bronson Arroyo will get an extra day of rest and pitch on Tuesday. Collmenter has a 2.25 ERA in eight innings of relief this season.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.