D-backs' Gibson: Josh Collmenter to join rotation in place of Randall Delgado
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson announced after Friday's 6-0 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers that right-hander Josh Collmenter will replace the struggling Randall Delgado in Arizona's pitching rotation.
Collmenter emerged as a starter on the D-backs' 2011 NL West championship team, but has found a more permanent and valuable role as a swing man in the bullpen. But with the struggles of the D-backs' starters -- they've combined for an ERA over six, and Delgado sports a 10.13 ERA -- Collmenter will likely prove more valuable in the rotation.
"We need innings out of guys that give us a chance to win the ball game," Gibson said. "Just looking at our options, we think it's the smartest way to go."
Collmenter will start on Monday against the New York Mets, while Bronson Arroyo will get an extra day of rest and pitch on Tuesday. Collmenter has a 2.25 ERA in eight innings of relief this season.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.