D-backs again fall to Dodgers behind another poor start: By The Numbers
The Arizona Diamondbacks again fell in an early hole to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday. Trevor Cahill again failed to finish five innings.
Then the D-backs lost their fifth straight game to Los Angeles, falling 8-6 to drop to 1-8 at home this season.
Here's a closer look at the loss, By The Numbers:
Eric Chavez's third-inning solo home run marked the first time he's gone deep in his second season with the D-backs.
Dodgers shortstop Dee Gordon racked up four stolen bases against the D-backs Sunday, three of which came against Trevor Cahill -- two on back-to-back pitches -- and another against Randall Delgado that came as Delgado wasn't paying attention while tidying up the mound area.
The Diamondbacks have dropped five straight games to the Dodgers to start the 2014 seasons, and none of them have been particularly close, with the D-backs losing by an average of three runs per game.
Cahill has complied a 9.17 ERA over his four starts this season while compiling an 0-4 record. Opposing batters are hitting better than .350 against Cahill, and he allows more than two baserunners per inning.
Noted D-backs killer Adrian Gonzalez racked up 10 RBIs in the three-game series after entering with four on the season. He hit a home run in each of the three games.
The Dodgers jumped out to 13 runs worth of early leads in the series, grabbing leads of 4-0, 4-0 and 5-0 in each of the three games.
Arizona's .267 win percentage ranks it dead last among MLB teams -- 30 out of 30.
Goldschmidt's fielding error was his first since August 11 of last year -- a span of 245 days. The Dodgers added a run on the Gold Glove winner's miscue.
D-backs slugger Mark Trumbo reached the 300-RBI milestone for his career with his seventh-inning home run, which knocked in RBIs number 300, 301 and 302.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.