D-backs fall to Mets, continue skid: By The Numbers
The D-backs grabbed their first lead in four days on Miguel Montero's first-inning RBI double.
But then they couldn't hold it for even a half inning.
The Mets scored in four different innings and handed the D-backs their fourth straight loss 7-3 at Chase Field behind another woeful starting pitching performance -- this time at the hands of Josh Collmenter, who was making his first start since 2012.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
Arizona shortstop Chris Owings picked up two hits in four at-bats, raising his season average to .313. Owings -- more well-known for his bat than his glove -- also made a bad throwing error in the game.
D-backs catcher Miguel Montero drove in all three of Arizona's run in his first game hitting cleanup this season. He had typically been in the fifth spot, but he and the slumping Martin Prado were switched in the lineup for Monday's game.
Only one D-backs starter (Brandon McCarthy) has recorded an out in the sixth inning in eight days, when Wade Miley tossed eight innings en route to a win in Colorado. Collmenter allowed five hits and three runs in four innings of work.
Arizona right-hander Mike Bolsinger made his Major League debut in the fifth inning, though he struggled after a strong start. He struck out Eric Young Jr. as the first batter he faced, but went on to allow two runs on six hits while walking two. He will take Trevor Cahill's place in the D-backs' starting rotation.
The D-backs drew 18,099 fans to Chase Field to the game, and were outdrawn by the Phoenix Suns, who drew a sellout 18,422 next door at U.S. Airways Center.
Montero's RBI double in the first inning gave Arizona its first lead in 27 innings, as it didn't lead a single time while being swept by the Los Angeles Dodgers over the weekend.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.