D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
The general manager of a last place baseball team sounded like what you would expect a general manager of a last place baseball team to sound like this early in the season.
The Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-13 -- 1-10 at home -- and are in the midst of a season-long five-game losing streak with the possibility of having a winless homestand staring them straight in the face.
"It's been tough," Towers told Doug & Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We didn't see this coming. This is my 32nd year in baseball, I've never seen anything like it. It's the perfect storm. I've had rotations that have struggled at times but to have all five at the same time, it's difficult.
"We scratch our heads every night. It's like Groundhog Day, here we go again."
The starters have a league-worst 7.82 ERA and only have two quality starts in the 17 games they've played.
The team has changed up the rotation by replacing Randall Delgado with Josh Collmenter and will again on Saturday when Mike Bolsinger makes his first Major League start in place of Trevor Cahill. He debuted on Monday, allowing two runs on six hits in three innings in relief.
What else can the general manager do?
"To me, it's trying to really sit down with your pitching coach, your catching coach... and then simplifying things," Towers said.
Easy or not, the team is running out of options and must work through the problems.
"You have to weather this storm and ride it out, try to right this ship. Not throw your hands up and give up, [say] uncle."
Tyler Bassett, Digital Content Manager
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.