D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
The general manager of a last place baseball team sounded like what you would expect a general manager of a last place baseball team to sound like this early in the season.
The Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-13 -- 1-10 at home -- and are in the midst of a season-long five-game losing streak with the possibility of having a winless homestand staring them straight in the face.
"It's been tough," Towers told Doug & Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We didn't see this coming. This is my 32nd year in baseball, I've never seen anything like it. It's the perfect storm. I've had rotations that have struggled at times but to have all five at the same time, it's difficult.
"We scratch our heads every night. It's like Groundhog Day, here we go again."
The starters have a league-worst 7.82 ERA and only have two quality starts in the 17 games they've played.
The team has changed up the rotation by replacing Randall Delgado with Josh Collmenter and will again on Saturday when Mike Bolsinger makes his first Major League start in place of Trevor Cahill. He debuted on Monday, allowing two runs on six hits in three innings in relief.
What else can the general manager do?
"To me, it's trying to really sit down with your pitching coach, your catching coach... and then simplifying things," Towers said.
Easy or not, the team is running out of options and must work through the problems.
"You have to weather this storm and ride it out, try to right this ship. Not throw your hands up and give up, [say] uncle."
Tyler Bassett, Digital Content Manager
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.