D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
The general manager of a last place baseball team sounded like what you would expect a general manager of a last place baseball team to sound like this early in the season.
The Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-13 -- 1-10 at home -- and are in the midst of a season-long five-game losing streak with the possibility of having a winless homestand staring them straight in the face.
"It's been tough," Towers told Doug & Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We didn't see this coming. This is my 32nd year in baseball, I've never seen anything like it. It's the perfect storm. I've had rotations that have struggled at times but to have all five at the same time, it's difficult.
"We scratch our heads every night. It's like Groundhog Day, here we go again."
The starters have a league-worst 7.82 ERA and only have two quality starts in the 17 games they've played.
The team has changed up the rotation by replacing Randall Delgado with Josh Collmenter and will again on Saturday when Mike Bolsinger makes his first Major League start in place of Trevor Cahill. He debuted on Monday, allowing two runs on six hits in three innings in relief.
What else can the general manager do?
"To me, it's trying to really sit down with your pitching coach, your catching coach... and then simplifying things," Towers said.
Easy or not, the team is running out of options and must work through the problems.
"You have to weather this storm and ride it out, try to right this ship. Not throw your hands up and give up, [say] uncle."
Tyler Bassett, Digital Content Manager
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.