Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 12:08 am
D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
Through 18 games, the Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-14 overall with a 1-11 record at home, including an 0-6 mark on their most recent homestand -- one in which they got outscored 43-16 by the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets.
The starting rotation has been atrocious, recording only two quality starts to go along with a league-worst 7.82 ERA.
As far as April starts go, it doesn't get much worse than that.
Typically when a team stumbles and bumbles out of the gates as the D-backs have done so far, heads roll.
General manager Kevin Towers -- who assembled the roster with signings of Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Cody Ross and trades for Addison Reed, Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and Trevor Cahill -- would potentially seem like a prime target.
As would Kirk Gibson, who after winning the 2011 Manager of the Year award, has missed the playoffs in two straight years and registered just a 166-176 record.
But speaking to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman in a phone interview Wednesday, D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall reiterated that neither is in jeopardy of losing their respective job at the moment.
"It's far too early to say they're in jeopardy, Hall told Heyman. "I wouldn't say anybody's in trouble at this point."
It's as close to an early-season vote of confidence as the two will likely get from their boss.
But, it remains to be seen just how long it lasts for the duo, who both signed undisclosed extensions with the organization this spring.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.