Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 12:08 am
D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
Through 18 games, the Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-14 overall with a 1-11 record at home, including an 0-6 mark on their most recent homestand -- one in which they got outscored 43-16 by the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets.
The starting rotation has been atrocious, recording only two quality starts to go along with a league-worst 7.82 ERA.
As far as April starts go, it doesn't get much worse than that.
Typically when a team stumbles and bumbles out of the gates as the D-backs have done so far, heads roll.
General manager Kevin Towers -- who assembled the roster with signings of Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Cody Ross and trades for Addison Reed, Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and Trevor Cahill -- would potentially seem like a prime target.
As would Kirk Gibson, who after winning the 2011 Manager of the Year award, has missed the playoffs in two straight years and registered just a 166-176 record.
But speaking to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman in a phone interview Wednesday, D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall reiterated that neither is in jeopardy of losing their respective job at the moment.
"It's far too early to say they're in jeopardy, Hall told Heyman. "I wouldn't say anybody's in trouble at this point."
It's as close to an early-season vote of confidence as the two will likely get from their boss.
But, it remains to be seen just how long it lasts for the duo, who both signed undisclosed extensions with the organization this spring.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.