Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 12:08 am
D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
Through 18 games, the Arizona Diamondbacks are 4-14 overall with a 1-11 record at home, including an 0-6 mark on their most recent homestand -- one in which they got outscored 43-16 by the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets.
The starting rotation has been atrocious, recording only two quality starts to go along with a league-worst 7.82 ERA.
As far as April starts go, it doesn't get much worse than that.
Typically when a team stumbles and bumbles out of the gates as the D-backs have done so far, heads roll.
General manager Kevin Towers -- who assembled the roster with signings of Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Cody Ross and trades for Addison Reed, Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and Trevor Cahill -- would potentially seem like a prime target.
As would Kirk Gibson, who after winning the 2011 Manager of the Year award, has missed the playoffs in two straight years and registered just a 166-176 record.
But speaking to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman in a phone interview Wednesday, D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall reiterated that neither is in jeopardy of losing their respective job at the moment.
"It's far too early to say they're in jeopardy, Hall told Heyman. "I wouldn't say anybody's in trouble at this point."
It's as close to an early-season vote of confidence as the two will likely get from their boss.
But, it remains to be seen just how long it lasts for the duo, who both signed undisclosed extensions with the organization this spring.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.