Updated Apr 17, 2014 - 4:35 pm
ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
Pitching, defense, hitting -- it's all been pretty bad.
"This team should not be going through this," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday. "And yet it seems across the board they're not doing anything right.
"Bullpen, rotation, they're not swinging the bat, they're not running the bases very well. This is a collaborative effort."
Entering play Thursday, the D-backs ranked 24th in baseball in on-base percentage and 30th in ERA. Their batters have struck out 139 times, which is third most in MLB, and their 15 errors are tied for second most.
Outside of Paul Goldschmidt, Chris Owings and maybe Mark Trumbo, it's tough to find a real bright spot.
And while Kurkjian was not ready to declare the D-backs officially dead, he said "it doesn't look good at all right now."
Ain't that the truth.
Unless things turn around -- and soon -- the focus will likely turn to whether or not the front office will hold anyone accountable for what is happening on the field.
Generally speaking, the finger would likely be pointed at manager Kirk Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers, though up to this point parting with either does not seem to be an option the team is considering.
But as Kurkjian said, the team cannot afford to let things spiral out of control much longer without making a move.
"This can't go on for another month," he said. "In other words, if they keep losing at this pace and playing like this, something is going to have to happen."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.