Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
The team announced Friday it had reinstated the outfielder from the 15-day disabled list. In a corresponding move, the team designated relief pitcher Ryan Rowland-Smith for assignment.
Ross, 30, suffered a dislocated hip on Aug. 11 while running to first base. It cut his first season as D-back short, and he finished the campaign batting .278 with eight home runs and 38 RBI. In nine rehab games with Triple-A Reno this season, he hit .290 with one double and seven RBI.
The 31-year-old Rowland-Smith appeared in six games this season, posting an ERA of 4.91 in 7.1 innings of work.
And in a non-related move, the team outrighted right-handed pitcher Alex Sanabia to Reno Thursday.
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.