Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
They were an major league-worst 4-14 on the year and had just been swept on a homestand. Moreover, they were off to a 1-8 start at Chase Field and a 1-10 start at home -- a record which includes the two games they hosted at Sydney Cricket Ground.
Following their most recent loss, a 5-2 dud to the New York Mets, who completed the sweep of the Diamondbacks with the win, pitcher Brandon McCarthy spoke on behalf of his team when he expressed his confusion with the team's start.
"I don't know what we're in need of besides playing better baseball; exorcism or something," McCarthy told the media after the game.
On Friday, the Diamondbacks were able to shake something off -- whether it was exorcism or not -- in their 4-2 win over the Dodgers.
It took 12 innings, included a blown save and pivoted on a ninth-inning wild pitch, but the Diamondbacks were able to climb out of their six-game rut. In the process, they beat the Dodgers for just the fourth time in the last 16 games and for the first time in 2014.
The Diamondbacks' last victory over the Dodgers came on Sept. 18 of 2013.
Following the 4-2 win, the Diamondbacks no longer possess the fewest wins in baseball, now tying the Houston Astros for the second-fewest, ahead of the lowly Chicago Cubs (4-11).
The Diamondbacks are now 4-3 on the road, but 1-11 at home.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.