Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
They were an major league-worst 4-14 on the year and had just been swept on a homestand. Moreover, they were off to a 1-8 start at Chase Field and a 1-10 start at home -- a record which includes the two games they hosted at Sydney Cricket Ground.
Following their most recent loss, a 5-2 dud to the New York Mets, who completed the sweep of the Diamondbacks with the win, pitcher Brandon McCarthy spoke on behalf of his team when he expressed his confusion with the team's start.
"I don't know what we're in need of besides playing better baseball; exorcism or something," McCarthy told the media after the game.
On Friday, the Diamondbacks were able to shake something off -- whether it was exorcism or not -- in their 4-2 win over the Dodgers.
It took 12 innings, included a blown save and pivoted on a ninth-inning wild pitch, but the Diamondbacks were able to climb out of their six-game rut. In the process, they beat the Dodgers for just the fourth time in the last 16 games and for the first time in 2014.
The Diamondbacks' last victory over the Dodgers came on Sept. 18 of 2013.
Following the 4-2 win, the Diamondbacks no longer possess the fewest wins in baseball, now tying the Houston Astros for the second-fewest, ahead of the lowly Chicago Cubs (4-11).
The Diamondbacks are now 4-3 on the road, but 1-11 at home.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.