D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
But then they ran into a familiar foe.
Starting pitcher Mike Bolsinger allowed seven runs on seven hits in four innings in his rotation debut, and the D-backs lost 8-6 despite racing out to an early 4-0 lead in Los Angeles.
Here's a closer look at the loss, By The Numbers:
Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill has retired every batter he's faced in four relief innings the past two days, earning the save in Friday's win and tossing three innings of relief Saturday after being relegated to the bullpen following an atrocious start to the season.
The Dodgers answered Arizona's four-run third inning with eight runs of their own -- three in the fourth and five in the fifth.
The D-backs defense committed a pair of errors in Los Angeles' five-run fifth inning, including a botched would-be double play ball to Martin Prado that could have severely limited the Dodgers' damage.
Arizona offseason acquisition Mark Trumbo notched a pair of singles on Saturday, raising his batting average on the year to .213 -- worst among D-backs regulars.
Los Angeles slugger Adrian Gonzelez continued his torching of the D-backs, driving in two runs with a bases-loaded single and raising his RBI total against Arizona this season to 13. He has 16 RBIs on the year.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt singled Saturday, meaning he's recorded a hit in 17 of Arizona's 20 games this season.
D-backs starter Mike Bolsinger lasted just four-plus innings in his rotation debut, allowing seven hits and seven runs -- six earned -- while walking one and striking out five.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?