D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
They figured he could be a solid addition who could at least slow the bleeding that has seen the D-backs' rotation ERA skyrocket to the worst in baseball by about two runs.
But instead, Bolsinger contributed to the woes in his rotation debut.
The 26-year-old rookie lasted just four innings, allowing six earned runs on seven hits. In his defense, the D-backs played some shoddy defense behind him and made two errors in the Dodgers' five-run fifth inning. Bolsinger struck out five and walked one and threw just 73 pitches.
The D-backs staked Bolsinger to a 4-0 lead thanks to a four-run third inning, but the Dodgers responded with eight unanswered en route to an 8-6 win. Bolsinger has a 10.29 ERA in two appearances with Arizona this season, the first of which came in relief before making his first career start on Saturday.
Bolsinger picked up his first career hit before coming around to score on a Paul Goldschmidt single in the D-backs' four-run third inning.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.