Updated Apr 23, 2014 - 11:22 am
The Yoke of Leadership
Sorry, Martin Prado, but you have got to field that grounder…and 5 errors already? All apologies Trevor Cahill, but the only area you have been consistent is in your inconsistency. Sorry, Aaron Hill, but .209 is not going to cut it…
When it comes to assigning blame to the D-backs debacle, I blame the guys that are between the white lines; they're all not getting it done and I would wager these guys would be the first ones to tell you that. Hopefully.
As a former player, the notion of blaming a coach or general manager for my performance makes me want to projectile vomit. I would never blame my coach/manager for my poor performance. It's a craven way to live: blame others for my failings!
And I wonder who the leaders are in the clubhouse? Who is stepping up? Who is playing well? Who is playing well and offering a dead-level stare at his teammates? Who is challenging their teammates to figurative (or literal) fight?
There is only one player that meets the criteria of leading the Diamondbacks: Paul Goldschmidt. He's playing well despite the malaise around him; he is recognized as the organization's best player; he has the diamond-cred to speak up.
With great power comes great responsibility…even if you're a great guy.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.