Updated Apr 23, 2014 - 5:54 pm
Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
The 28-year-old slugger apparently has a stress fracture in his left foot, according to multiple sources.
He is reportedly heading back to Phoenix to get a second opinion on the diagnosis, and will be sidelined indefinitely.
As a member of the Los Angeles Angels, Trumbo suffered a stress fracture in his right foot at the end of the 2011 season. It took him more than five months to recover, according to Fox Sports' Jack Magruder.
"That was a pain," he told reporters Wednesday. "That one took a long time. But this one probably should be significantly less."
Trumbo added that he had been dealing with "plantar fascia stuff" lately and doesn't know when exactly he further injured his left foot.
Neither Trumbo nor manager Kirk Gibson had a timetable for the slugger's return to action.
Trumbo got off to a hot start in his first year with the Diamondbacks but has struggled of late, only recording three hits and one RBI in his last 21 at-bats over the past six games he's played.
The 6-foot-4 outfielder has seven home runs, 19 RBI and is batting .210 in 81 at-bats this season.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.