Updated Apr 23, 2014 - 5:54 pm
Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
The 28-year-old slugger apparently has a stress fracture in his left foot, according to multiple sources.
He is reportedly heading back to Phoenix to get a second opinion on the diagnosis, and will be sidelined indefinitely.
As a member of the Los Angeles Angels, Trumbo suffered a stress fracture in his right foot at the end of the 2011 season. It took him more than five months to recover, according to Fox Sports' Jack Magruder.
"That was a pain," he told reporters Wednesday. "That one took a long time. But this one probably should be significantly less."
Trumbo added that he had been dealing with "plantar fascia stuff" lately and doesn't know when exactly he further injured his left foot.
Neither Trumbo nor manager Kirk Gibson had a timetable for the slugger's return to action.
Trumbo got off to a hot start in his first year with the Diamondbacks but has struggled of late, only recording three hits and one RBI in his last 21 at-bats over the past six games he's played.
The 6-foot-4 outfielder has seven home runs, 19 RBI and is batting .210 in 81 at-bats this season.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.