Updated Apr 23, 2014 - 5:54 pm
Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
The 28-year-old slugger apparently has a stress fracture in his left foot, according to multiple sources.
He is reportedly heading back to Phoenix to get a second opinion on the diagnosis, and will be sidelined indefinitely.
As a member of the Los Angeles Angels, Trumbo suffered a stress fracture in his right foot at the end of the 2011 season. It took him more than five months to recover, according to Fox Sports' Jack Magruder.
"That was a pain," he told reporters Wednesday. "That one took a long time. But this one probably should be significantly less."
Trumbo added that he had been dealing with "plantar fascia stuff" lately and doesn't know when exactly he further injured his left foot.
Neither Trumbo nor manager Kirk Gibson had a timetable for the slugger's return to action.
Trumbo got off to a hot start in his first year with the Diamondbacks but has struggled of late, only recording three hits and one RBI in his last 21 at-bats over the past six games he's played.
The 6-foot-4 outfielder has seven home runs, 19 RBI and is batting .210 in 81 at-bats this season.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.