Updated Apr 24, 2014 - 2:55 pm
Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
Bolsinger (1-1) allowed one unearned run and four hits in 6 2-3 innings. He struck out seven and walked two.
Miguel Montero drove in two runs, and the Diamondbacks won consecutive games for only the second time this season. Addison Reed got his fifth save in six chances with a perfect ninth.
Edwin Jackson (1-2) pitched seven innings. He retired 17 of 18 batters after Bolsinger's run-scoring single in the second.
Montero hit a two-out double in the first inning for a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs got that run back right away in the bottom half. Leadoff man Emilio Bonifacio stretched a hit up the middle into a hustle double, which was reviewed when it appeared he was tagged out when he overslid the base. After a lengthy replay review, the call stood.
Following a walk, Bonifacio scored on Arizona left fielder Roger Kieschnick's error on a line drive by Anthony Rizzo.
The Cubs went on to load the bases with one out on a walk, but Bolsinger struck out Mike Olt looking and got Welington Castillo to fly out.
Cliff Pennington walked in the Arizona second and scored on Tony Campana's double. Bolsinger singled for a 3-1 lead.
Despite throwing 40 pitches through two innings, Jackson posted his longest outing since Sept. 10. He allowed five hits while walking two and striking out four.
Rizzo hit a solo home run in the eighth, his third of the season.
NOTES: Diamondbacks OF Mark Trumbo (stress fracture in left foot) was placed on the 15-day disabled list and Kieschnick was recalled from Triple-A Reno. Kieschnick made his Diamondbacks debut Thursday, starting in left field and going 0 for 4 with three strikeouts. ... OF A.J. Pollock (neck stiffness) was not in the starting lineup for a fourth consecutive game. Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said he was much improved but not where they'd like him to be. ... Cubs top pitching prospect RHP C.J. Edwards was in Chicago on Thursday to get his shoulder examined after he experienced fatigue in a bullpen session.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.