Updated Apr 24, 2014 - 2:55 pm
Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
Bolsinger (1-1) allowed one unearned run and four hits in 6 2-3 innings. He struck out seven and walked two.
Miguel Montero drove in two runs, and the Diamondbacks won consecutive games for only the second time this season. Addison Reed got his fifth save in six chances with a perfect ninth.
Edwin Jackson (1-2) pitched seven innings. He retired 17 of 18 batters after Bolsinger's run-scoring single in the second.
Montero hit a two-out double in the first inning for a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs got that run back right away in the bottom half. Leadoff man Emilio Bonifacio stretched a hit up the middle into a hustle double, which was reviewed when it appeared he was tagged out when he overslid the base. After a lengthy replay review, the call stood.
Following a walk, Bonifacio scored on Arizona left fielder Roger Kieschnick's error on a line drive by Anthony Rizzo.
The Cubs went on to load the bases with one out on a walk, but Bolsinger struck out Mike Olt looking and got Welington Castillo to fly out.
Cliff Pennington walked in the Arizona second and scored on Tony Campana's double. Bolsinger singled for a 3-1 lead.
Despite throwing 40 pitches through two innings, Jackson posted his longest outing since Sept. 10. He allowed five hits while walking two and striking out four.
Rizzo hit a solo home run in the eighth, his third of the season.
NOTES: Diamondbacks OF Mark Trumbo (stress fracture in left foot) was placed on the 15-day disabled list and Kieschnick was recalled from Triple-A Reno. Kieschnick made his Diamondbacks debut Thursday, starting in left field and going 0 for 4 with three strikeouts. ... OF A.J. Pollock (neck stiffness) was not in the starting lineup for a fourth consecutive game. Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said he was much improved but not where they'd like him to be. ... Cubs top pitching prospect RHP C.J. Edwards was in Chicago on Thursday to get his shoulder examined after he experienced fatigue in a bullpen session.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?