Updated Apr 24, 2014 - 2:55 pm
Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
Bolsinger (1-1) allowed one unearned run and four hits in 6 2-3 innings. He struck out seven and walked two.
Miguel Montero drove in two runs, and the Diamondbacks won consecutive games for only the second time this season. Addison Reed got his fifth save in six chances with a perfect ninth.
Edwin Jackson (1-2) pitched seven innings. He retired 17 of 18 batters after Bolsinger's run-scoring single in the second.
Montero hit a two-out double in the first inning for a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs got that run back right away in the bottom half. Leadoff man Emilio Bonifacio stretched a hit up the middle into a hustle double, which was reviewed when it appeared he was tagged out when he overslid the base. After a lengthy replay review, the call stood.
Following a walk, Bonifacio scored on Arizona left fielder Roger Kieschnick's error on a line drive by Anthony Rizzo.
The Cubs went on to load the bases with one out on a walk, but Bolsinger struck out Mike Olt looking and got Welington Castillo to fly out.
Cliff Pennington walked in the Arizona second and scored on Tony Campana's double. Bolsinger singled for a 3-1 lead.
Despite throwing 40 pitches through two innings, Jackson posted his longest outing since Sept. 10. He allowed five hits while walking two and striking out four.
Rizzo hit a solo home run in the eighth, his third of the season.
NOTES: Diamondbacks OF Mark Trumbo (stress fracture in left foot) was placed on the 15-day disabled list and Kieschnick was recalled from Triple-A Reno. Kieschnick made his Diamondbacks debut Thursday, starting in left field and going 0 for 4 with three strikeouts. ... OF A.J. Pollock (neck stiffness) was not in the starting lineup for a fourth consecutive game. Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said he was much improved but not where they'd like him to be. ... Cubs top pitching prospect RHP C.J. Edwards was in Chicago on Thursday to get his shoulder examined after he experienced fatigue in a bullpen session.
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.