Former D-back Randy Johnson to be honored in 10th anniversary celebration of perfect game
However, it won't be as the Arizona Diamondbacks' starting pitcher that afternoon against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
In honor of the 10th year anniversary of his perfect game against the Atlanta Braves, the "Big Unit" will throw out the ceremonial first pitch to Robby Hammock, who caught the historic performance back on May 18, 2004.
That night, the five-time Cy Young Award winner became the oldest pitcher ever to record a perfect game -- and he did so with the help of 13 strikeouts.
"We are thrilled to welcome Randy back to Chase Field to celebrate the greatest single game of his career," said D-backs president & CEO Derrick Hall. "What he accomplished that night and throughout his D-backs career was simply amazing and we're glad that our fans have the opportunity to salute this legendary performance."
In eight seasons with the D-backs, Johnson went 118-62 with a 2.83 ERA and 2,077 strikeouts. The 50-year-old also was named the 2001 World Series Co-MVP after he collected three of Arizona's four victories in the Fall Classic.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.