Former D-back Randy Johnson to be honored in 10th anniversary celebration of perfect game
However, it won't be as the Arizona Diamondbacks' starting pitcher that afternoon against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
In honor of the 10th year anniversary of his perfect game against the Atlanta Braves, the "Big Unit" will throw out the ceremonial first pitch to Robby Hammock, who caught the historic performance back on May 18, 2004.
That night, the five-time Cy Young Award winner became the oldest pitcher ever to record a perfect game -- and he did so with the help of 13 strikeouts.
"We are thrilled to welcome Randy back to Chase Field to celebrate the greatest single game of his career," said D-backs president & CEO Derrick Hall. "What he accomplished that night and throughout his D-backs career was simply amazing and we're glad that our fans have the opportunity to salute this legendary performance."
In eight seasons with the D-backs, Johnson went 118-62 with a 2.83 ERA and 2,077 strikeouts. The 50-year-old also was named the 2001 World Series Co-MVP after he collected three of Arizona's four victories in the Fall Classic.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.