Former D-back Randy Johnson to be honored in 10th anniversary celebration of perfect game
However, it won't be as the Arizona Diamondbacks' starting pitcher that afternoon against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
In honor of the 10th year anniversary of his perfect game against the Atlanta Braves, the "Big Unit" will throw out the ceremonial first pitch to Robby Hammock, who caught the historic performance back on May 18, 2004.
That night, the five-time Cy Young Award winner became the oldest pitcher ever to record a perfect game -- and he did so with the help of 13 strikeouts.
"We are thrilled to welcome Randy back to Chase Field to celebrate the greatest single game of his career," said D-backs president & CEO Derrick Hall. "What he accomplished that night and throughout his D-backs career was simply amazing and we're glad that our fans have the opportunity to salute this legendary performance."
In eight seasons with the D-backs, Johnson went 118-62 with a 2.83 ERA and 2,077 strikeouts. The 50-year-old also was named the 2001 World Series Co-MVP after he collected three of Arizona's four victories in the Fall Classic.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.