Archie Bradley continues to struggle, off to mediocre start with Triple-A Reno Aces
The right-hander gave up seven hits, four walks, and five earned runs to the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees -- a minor league affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim -- and lasted just 4.0 innings in the outing. Bradley, 21, hasn't lasted more than 4.1 innings in any of his most recent three starts.
Just two weeks ago, Bradley's agent, Jay Franklin, publicly called for the promotion of his client to the major leagues. The Broken Arrow, Okla. native has since gone 0-3 with an 8.76 ERA.
Diamondbacks starting pitchers, meanwhile, recently put together a strand of 18.2 consecutive scoreless innings and three straight quality starts. The spike in performance, of course, came as a flight from their prolonged early season struggles, which still have them mired down at the bottom of the majors in staff ERA (6.49) and home runs allowed (23).
Bradley, who is ranked Baseball America's No. 9 overall prospect, failed to make the Diamondbacks' Opening Day rotation out of spring training, pitching to a 4.32 ERA over 8.1 innings, which were spread out over three starts. Even despite his struggles at Triple-A Reno since camp broke, the Diamondbacks seemed unlikely to call him up before June 1 in order to avoid starting his service clock and expediting the date on which he would first be eligible for arbitration.
Bradley collectively went 14-5 with a 1.84 ERA in stints with Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile last season.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?