Archie Bradley continues to struggle, off to mediocre start with Triple-A Reno Aces
The right-hander gave up seven hits, four walks, and five earned runs to the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees -- a minor league affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim -- and lasted just 4.0 innings in the outing. Bradley, 21, hasn't lasted more than 4.1 innings in any of his most recent three starts.
Just two weeks ago, Bradley's agent, Jay Franklin, publicly called for the promotion of his client to the major leagues. The Broken Arrow, Okla. native has since gone 0-3 with an 8.76 ERA.
Diamondbacks starting pitchers, meanwhile, recently put together a strand of 18.2 consecutive scoreless innings and three straight quality starts. The spike in performance, of course, came as a flight from their prolonged early season struggles, which still have them mired down at the bottom of the majors in staff ERA (6.49) and home runs allowed (23).
Bradley, who is ranked Baseball America's No. 9 overall prospect, failed to make the Diamondbacks' Opening Day rotation out of spring training, pitching to a 4.32 ERA over 8.1 innings, which were spread out over three starts. Even despite his struggles at Triple-A Reno since camp broke, the Diamondbacks seemed unlikely to call him up before June 1 in order to avoid starting his service clock and expediting the date on which he would first be eligible for arbitration.
Bradley collectively went 14-5 with a 1.84 ERA in stints with Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile last season.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.