D-backs' starting rotation beginning to find its form after rough start to 2014 campaign
At the time, Arizona's five-man unit led the league with the fewest quality starts and the worst ERA. They also were in the bottom five in WHIP, opponent batting average and opponent on-base percentage.
While its ranking in those respective categories hasn't exactly improved all that much, the desired results have started to come.
Since April 24, Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter, Mike Bolsinger and Wade Miley have slowly but surely turned the proverbial corner.
The D-backs' rotation has been rather impressive over its last 10 appearances, combining to throw seven quality starts in 64.2 innings of work.
In that span, Arizona starters have gone at least six innings in nine of 10 outings, and not a single pitcher has yielded more than two walks.
It's also not surprising that as the rotation has slowly turned things around, so too has Kirk Gibson's squad.
Backed by their starters' collective 3.09 ERA, the D-backs have won three of their last four games and five of their last 10.
Although it might be a small sample size, it's certainly a step in the right direction.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.