D-backs' starting rotation beginning to find its form after rough start to 2014 campaign
At the time, Arizona's five-man unit led the league with the fewest quality starts and the worst ERA. They also were in the bottom five in WHIP, opponent batting average and opponent on-base percentage.
While its ranking in those respective categories hasn't exactly improved all that much, the desired results have started to come.
Since April 24, Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter, Mike Bolsinger and Wade Miley have slowly but surely turned the proverbial corner.
The D-backs' rotation has been rather impressive over its last 10 appearances, combining to throw seven quality starts in 64.2 innings of work.
In that span, Arizona starters have gone at least six innings in nine of 10 outings, and not a single pitcher has yielded more than two walks.
It's also not surprising that as the rotation has slowly turned things around, so too has Kirk Gibson's squad.
Backed by their starters' collective 3.09 ERA, the D-backs have won three of their last four games and five of their last 10.
Although it might be a small sample size, it's certainly a step in the right direction.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.