Updated May 6, 2014 - 12:53 pm
J.J. Putz placed on 15-day disabled list with forearm tightness
Tuesday, they made it official.
The right-handed relief pitcher has reportedly been suffering from forearm tightness in the most recent part of a season that has also been fairly wayward otherwise. In 13 appearances for the Diamondbacks this season, Putz, 37, has compiled a 5.40 ERA, thanks in part to a strikeout-to-walk ratio that is lower than it has been since 2005, at 2.00.
The Diamondbacks' corresponding move will be the recall of 24-year-old Evan Marshall, who has allowed just one earned run in 14 appearances (16.2 innings pitched) for Triple-A Reno in 2014.
Marshall was a fourth-round pick of the Diamondbacks in 2011.
According to Baseball America, Marshall's fastball ranges between 92 and 96 mph and carries heavy sink. The publication also states that the prospect has "enough stuff to pitch at the back of the bullpen," thanks to a curveball that they describe as "hard" and "true" and a delivery deemed "funky".
Marshall boasts a 10.3 strikeouts-per-nine rate this season at Reno.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.