Updated May 6, 2014 - 12:53 pm
J.J. Putz placed on 15-day disabled list with forearm tightness
Tuesday, they made it official.
The right-handed relief pitcher has reportedly been suffering from forearm tightness in the most recent part of a season that has also been fairly wayward otherwise. In 13 appearances for the Diamondbacks this season, Putz, 37, has compiled a 5.40 ERA, thanks in part to a strikeout-to-walk ratio that is lower than it has been since 2005, at 2.00.
The Diamondbacks' corresponding move will be the recall of 24-year-old Evan Marshall, who has allowed just one earned run in 14 appearances (16.2 innings pitched) for Triple-A Reno in 2014.
Marshall was a fourth-round pick of the Diamondbacks in 2011.
According to Baseball America, Marshall's fastball ranges between 92 and 96 mph and carries heavy sink. The publication also states that the prospect has "enough stuff to pitch at the back of the bullpen," thanks to a curveball that they describe as "hard" and "true" and a delivery deemed "funky".
Marshall boasts a 10.3 strikeouts-per-nine rate this season at Reno.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.