Updated May 6, 2014 - 12:53 pm
J.J. Putz placed on 15-day disabled list with forearm tightness
Tuesday, they made it official.
The right-handed relief pitcher has reportedly been suffering from forearm tightness in the most recent part of a season that has also been fairly wayward otherwise. In 13 appearances for the Diamondbacks this season, Putz, 37, has compiled a 5.40 ERA, thanks in part to a strikeout-to-walk ratio that is lower than it has been since 2005, at 2.00.
The Diamondbacks' corresponding move will be the recall of 24-year-old Evan Marshall, who has allowed just one earned run in 14 appearances (16.2 innings pitched) for Triple-A Reno in 2014.
Marshall was a fourth-round pick of the Diamondbacks in 2011.
According to Baseball America, Marshall's fastball ranges between 92 and 96 mph and carries heavy sink. The publication also states that the prospect has "enough stuff to pitch at the back of the bullpen," thanks to a curveball that they describe as "hard" and "true" and a delivery deemed "funky".
Marshall boasts a 10.3 strikeouts-per-nine rate this season at Reno.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.