Updated May 7, 2014 - 9:04 am
GM Kevin Towers outlines difference between home and road for D-backs
Unfortunately for the Arizona Diamondbacks, home is not where the wins have been.
Entering Wednesday's action, the D-backs are a respectable 9-9 away from Chase Field, while sporting a horrific 3-15 home record.
Arizona has won five of their last seven road games, including Tuesday night's come-from-behind win in Milwaukee. Why the big difference between home and road games this season?
"I think a lot of it has to be pressing at home," general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I think our guys know how vested our fan base is in this club and how we haven't performed at home. (There's) maybe added pressure, trying to do too much at home.
"Things have been somewhat negative around there in the way we've played -- it's hard on them. Where here, you're somewhat insulated on the road. When you're on the road, perhaps there is a little less pressure."
The numbers certainly support what Towers is saying, especially from a pitching standpoint. The D-backs' team ERA is almost a run lower on the road -- 4.52 to 5.36.
The Diamondbacks are attempting to win their third road series of the season, and doing so against the Brewers, who have the top winning percentage in the National League.
"Hopefully, we're able to carry it back home and win a home series," Towers said. "And if we win a home series, hopefully we can put all that behind us as well."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.