Updated May 7, 2014 - 9:04 am
GM Kevin Towers outlines difference between home and road for D-backs
Unfortunately for the Arizona Diamondbacks, home is not where the wins have been.
Entering Wednesday's action, the D-backs are a respectable 9-9 away from Chase Field, while sporting a horrific 3-15 home record.
Arizona has won five of their last seven road games, including Tuesday night's come-from-behind win in Milwaukee. Why the big difference between home and road games this season?
"I think a lot of it has to be pressing at home," general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I think our guys know how vested our fan base is in this club and how we haven't performed at home. (There's) maybe added pressure, trying to do too much at home.
"Things have been somewhat negative around there in the way we've played -- it's hard on them. Where here, you're somewhat insulated on the road. When you're on the road, perhaps there is a little less pressure."
The numbers certainly support what Towers is saying, especially from a pitching standpoint. The D-backs' team ERA is almost a run lower on the road -- 4.52 to 5.36.
The Diamondbacks are attempting to win their third road series of the season, and doing so against the Brewers, who have the top winning percentage in the National League.
"Hopefully, we're able to carry it back home and win a home series," Towers said. "And if we win a home series, hopefully we can put all that behind us as well."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.