Arizona Diamondbacks GM on Chris Owings: 'Not surprised by what he's doing'
"He reminds me a lot of Goldy," Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday when asked about shortstop Chris Owings.
Towers said Owings, who was recently named the National League's Rookie of the Month for March and April, made an impression a few years ago when he was in the team's big league camp. He wasn't really a candidate to make the Major League roster at the time, but the team wanted a closer look at one of its top prospects.
"(A.J.) Pollock and C.O. were guys who when you would talk to them about what they need to do when they go back down to the minor leagues, they were mature beyond their years, knew what they had to do, knew what they had to work on to get back up here," he said.
The 22-year-old Owings had to win a spring training battle with Didi Gregorius to earn the job, but since doing so has entrenched himself with the team. He leads MLB rookies in hits and is tied with the Yankees' Yangervis Solarte for the top batting average among first-year players.
Entering play Wednesday, Owings was hitting .298 with one home run and four RBI. Mostly slotted in back half of the lineup this season, he was moved to the second spot Tuesday night and responded with his first career homer.
"Just an incredible athlete, a great kid. Does all the little things right," Towers said, noting how the shortstop rebounded from a poor start Tuesday to have a solid game. "Not surprised by what he's doing; I think he's only going to get better the more comfortable he gets at this level."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.