Updated May 11, 2014 - 4:23 pm
D-backs rookie Chase Anderson turns in stellar MLB debut
It wasn't Justin Verlander or Clayton Kershaw or Jose Fernandez or Jon Lester.
Instead, it was Chase Anderson -- a 26-year-old starter on the Arizona Diamondbacks' Double-A affiliate in Mobile, Ala., where he had posted a 0.69 ERA with 38 strikeouts and a WHIP of less than 1.0 over 39 innings.
So it made sense that the D-backs and their ailing starting rotation turned to Anderson when they needed a start, and the right-hander continued to display the ability that gathered those video game-like stats.
Anderson tossed 5.1 innings in his MLB debut on Sunday against the Chicago White Sox, earning the win after allowing just two hits and a run while striking out six. Anderson threw just 74 pitches before yielding to the D-backs' bullpen after allowing a solo home run and four-pitch walk in the sixth inning.
Anderson showed three above-average pitches, with his fastball reaching 94 mph to go along with a solid changeup and curveball as he made the start in place of the recently demoted Mike Bolsinger.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.