Updated May 11, 2014 - 4:23 pm
D-backs rookie Chase Anderson turns in stellar MLB debut
It wasn't Justin Verlander or Clayton Kershaw or Jose Fernandez or Jon Lester.
Instead, it was Chase Anderson -- a 26-year-old starter on the Arizona Diamondbacks' Double-A affiliate in Mobile, Ala., where he had posted a 0.69 ERA with 38 strikeouts and a WHIP of less than 1.0 over 39 innings.
So it made sense that the D-backs and their ailing starting rotation turned to Anderson when they needed a start, and the right-hander continued to display the ability that gathered those video game-like stats.
Anderson tossed 5.1 innings in his MLB debut on Sunday against the Chicago White Sox, earning the win after allowing just two hits and a run while striking out six. Anderson threw just 74 pitches before yielding to the D-backs' bullpen after allowing a solo home run and four-pitch walk in the sixth inning.
Anderson showed three above-average pitches, with his fastball reaching 94 mph to go along with a solid changeup and curveball as he made the start in place of the recently demoted Mike Bolsinger.
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.