Updated May 11, 2014 - 4:23 pm
D-backs rookie Chase Anderson turns in stellar MLB debut
It wasn't Justin Verlander or Clayton Kershaw or Jose Fernandez or Jon Lester.
Instead, it was Chase Anderson -- a 26-year-old starter on the Arizona Diamondbacks' Double-A affiliate in Mobile, Ala., where he had posted a 0.69 ERA with 38 strikeouts and a WHIP of less than 1.0 over 39 innings.
So it made sense that the D-backs and their ailing starting rotation turned to Anderson when they needed a start, and the right-hander continued to display the ability that gathered those video game-like stats.
Anderson tossed 5.1 innings in his MLB debut on Sunday against the Chicago White Sox, earning the win after allowing just two hits and a run while striking out six. Anderson threw just 74 pitches before yielding to the D-backs' bullpen after allowing a solo home run and four-pitch walk in the sixth inning.
Anderson showed three above-average pitches, with his fastball reaching 94 mph to go along with a solid changeup and curveball as he made the start in place of the recently demoted Mike Bolsinger.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.