Updated May 13, 2014 - 9:42 am
Kirk Gibson: No controversy, Addison Reed is D-backs' closer
Following a very successful 6-3 road trip to San Diego, Milwaukee and Chicago, the D-backs returned home Monday to start a series with the Washington Nationals. Leading 5-4, manager Kirk Gibson handed the ball to closer Addison Reed to slam the door.
Instead, Reed gave up a game-tying solo home run to Danny Espinosa on the second pitch of the ninth inning. After retiring Tyler Moore and Nate McLouth, Reed was touched up again, this time on a solo homer by Kevin Frandsen. Washington went on to win 6-5.
"I'm locating the ball badly right now, and they're making me pay for it," Reed said following the game.
Both home runs came on fastballs down the middle of the plate.
Reed had converted all five of his save opportunities on the recently-completed road trip, but like most D-backs, has had problems at Chase Field this season. On the road, Reed has nine saves and an ERA of 3.72. At home, he's got just two saves and a 6.30 ERA.
Despite the latest crushing home loss, Gibson has faith in Reed.
"There is no controversy here," he said. "He's our closer, he's done a hell of a job for us, let's not forget that. It didn't work out tonight, and it sucks."
As Gibson pointed out, Reed has converted 11 of 13 save opportunities on the season, but his ERA of 5.03 is the highest among National League closers and he's yielded six home runs in 19.2 innings of work, also the most among NL firemen.
Reed appreciates his skipper having his back.
"I know I can do it, and to have him say that means a lot," Reed said. "This is not going to ruin me or do anything to my confidence. I'm going to out here (Tuesday) and be ready to throw."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.