Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson smokes Nationals' Matt Williams in race back to dugout
Unfortunately for them, it wasn't the one that counts in the standings.
At any rate, prior to the game, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson exchanged his lineup card with former D-backs coach and now Nationals manager Matt Williams at home plate. From there it was off to the races, with the managers seeing who could get back to their dugout first.
Gibson won in a way that would make even California Chrome jealous.
"We used to run five, six days a week together," Gibson explained to Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "Run distance, run ramps, run stairs. Matt, he's got good lungs, a lot younger lungs than me, so if you go distance, if I can hang in there to the end I could always out-kick him. So he knew by the end of when we'd run, he'd always have to go out hard and try to lose me, get a good lead so he could beat me.
"So last night I told him how I had that knee surgery five weeks ago or something like that, so I've been telling him how bad my knee is, I can't run, I can't do this. So he said 'let's go on a big run.' So he's all set up, and I just shook his hand. He didn't know what was going on, I just sprinted off there. It was a setup. Is that cheating or is that just smart?"
Gibson also noted that Williams knew from his time on his bench that he likes to get back to his dugout before the opposing manager, so it wasn't exactly a total secret.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.