Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson smokes Nationals' Matt Williams in race back to dugout
Unfortunately for them, it wasn't the one that counts in the standings.
At any rate, prior to the game, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson exchanged his lineup card with former D-backs coach and now Nationals manager Matt Williams at home plate. From there it was off to the races, with the managers seeing who could get back to their dugout first.
Gibson won in a way that would make even California Chrome jealous.
"We used to run five, six days a week together," Gibson explained to Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "Run distance, run ramps, run stairs. Matt, he's got good lungs, a lot younger lungs than me, so if you go distance, if I can hang in there to the end I could always out-kick him. So he knew by the end of when we'd run, he'd always have to go out hard and try to lose me, get a good lead so he could beat me.
"So last night I told him how I had that knee surgery five weeks ago or something like that, so I've been telling him how bad my knee is, I can't run, I can't do this. So he said 'let's go on a big run.' So he's all set up, and I just shook his hand. He didn't know what was going on, I just sprinted off there. It was a setup. Is that cheating or is that just smart?"
Gibson also noted that Williams knew from his time on his bench that he likes to get back to his dugout before the opposing manager, so it wasn't exactly a total secret.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.