Updated May 14, 2014 - 9:37 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Health is the biggest key in Bronson Arroyo's turnaround
Arroyo (4-2) scattered seven hits and struck out seven as he outdueled Washington ace Stephen Strasburg.
The 37-year-old wasn't only excellent Tuesday -- he's pitched very well in his last four starts, going 3-0 with a minuscule 0.91 ERA in that stretch.
The biggest difference, according to general manager Kevin Towers, is Arroyo's health.
"He's healthy," Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I don't think he wanted to start the season on the disabled list -- he's never been on the DL, but he had the back problems and I think his shoulder started to bother him because he tried to come back too early from the back. I just think in the first couple weeks, he wasn't ready."
The statistics from Arroyo's first four starts certainly seem to verify what Towers is talking about. In that stretch, he was 1-2 with a hefty 9.50 ERA. Opposing hitters were feasting on him, batting .372 and clubbing five home runs over his 18 innings pitched.
"He didn't want to go on the DL, and now he's healthy and I think we're seeing the real Bronson Arroyo," Towers said. "I don't think it's anything more than just being healthy and feeling good."
Arroyo's four wins are tied for seventh in the National League, and Tuesday's complete game was his first since July 22, 2013 when he threw a shutout in an 11-0 win over the San Francisco Giants.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.