Updated May 14, 2014 - 9:37 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Health is the biggest key in Bronson Arroyo's turnaround
Arroyo (4-2) scattered seven hits and struck out seven as he outdueled Washington ace Stephen Strasburg.
The 37-year-old wasn't only excellent Tuesday -- he's pitched very well in his last four starts, going 3-0 with a minuscule 0.91 ERA in that stretch.
The biggest difference, according to general manager Kevin Towers, is Arroyo's health.
"He's healthy," Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I don't think he wanted to start the season on the disabled list -- he's never been on the DL, but he had the back problems and I think his shoulder started to bother him because he tried to come back too early from the back. I just think in the first couple weeks, he wasn't ready."
The statistics from Arroyo's first four starts certainly seem to verify what Towers is talking about. In that stretch, he was 1-2 with a hefty 9.50 ERA. Opposing hitters were feasting on him, batting .372 and clubbing five home runs over his 18 innings pitched.
"He didn't want to go on the DL, and now he's healthy and I think we're seeing the real Bronson Arroyo," Towers said. "I don't think it's anything more than just being healthy and feeling good."
Arroyo's four wins are tied for seventh in the National League, and Tuesday's complete game was his first since July 22, 2013 when he threw a shutout in an 11-0 win over the San Francisco Giants.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.