Updated May 14, 2014 - 9:37 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Health is the biggest key in Bronson Arroyo's turnaround
Arroyo (4-2) scattered seven hits and struck out seven as he outdueled Washington ace Stephen Strasburg.
The 37-year-old wasn't only excellent Tuesday -- he's pitched very well in his last four starts, going 3-0 with a minuscule 0.91 ERA in that stretch.
The biggest difference, according to general manager Kevin Towers, is Arroyo's health.
"He's healthy," Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I don't think he wanted to start the season on the disabled list -- he's never been on the DL, but he had the back problems and I think his shoulder started to bother him because he tried to come back too early from the back. I just think in the first couple weeks, he wasn't ready."
The statistics from Arroyo's first four starts certainly seem to verify what Towers is talking about. In that stretch, he was 1-2 with a hefty 9.50 ERA. Opposing hitters were feasting on him, batting .372 and clubbing five home runs over his 18 innings pitched.
"He didn't want to go on the DL, and now he's healthy and I think we're seeing the real Bronson Arroyo," Towers said. "I don't think it's anything more than just being healthy and feeling good."
Arroyo's four wins are tied for seventh in the National League, and Tuesday's complete game was his first since July 22, 2013 when he threw a shutout in an 11-0 win over the San Francisco Giants.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.