Updated May 14, 2014 - 9:37 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Health is the biggest key in Bronson Arroyo's turnaround
Arroyo (4-2) scattered seven hits and struck out seven as he outdueled Washington ace Stephen Strasburg.
The 37-year-old wasn't only excellent Tuesday -- he's pitched very well in his last four starts, going 3-0 with a minuscule 0.91 ERA in that stretch.
The biggest difference, according to general manager Kevin Towers, is Arroyo's health.
"He's healthy," Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I don't think he wanted to start the season on the disabled list -- he's never been on the DL, but he had the back problems and I think his shoulder started to bother him because he tried to come back too early from the back. I just think in the first couple weeks, he wasn't ready."
The statistics from Arroyo's first four starts certainly seem to verify what Towers is talking about. In that stretch, he was 1-2 with a hefty 9.50 ERA. Opposing hitters were feasting on him, batting .372 and clubbing five home runs over his 18 innings pitched.
"He didn't want to go on the DL, and now he's healthy and I think we're seeing the real Bronson Arroyo," Towers said. "I don't think it's anything more than just being healthy and feeling good."
Arroyo's four wins are tied for seventh in the National League, and Tuesday's complete game was his first since July 22, 2013 when he threw a shutout in an 11-0 win over the San Francisco Giants.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.