The Pulse: D-backs' starting pitching likely to 'level out in the middle'
Through March and April, the team's rotation was at the bottom of every major statistical category, including ERA, WHIP, opposing batting average and fewest quality starts.
The tide seems to have turned, though, for Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter and Wade Miley over the last 20 games.
With the help of Mike Bolsinger and Chase Anderson, the D-backs' starting five has combined to produce an ERA of 3.08 ERA, a 1.104 (WHIP) clip and eight total wins since April 23.
So, we at ArizonaSports.com asked our readers whether the staff's performance in April or May was a better indication of how things will turn out at the end of the 162-game season.
Of the 643 readers polled, a third option suggesting they'll level out somewhere in the middle of both months was far and away the most popular choice, garnering 75 percent of the vote (480).
There were some signs of optimism, however, as the next most popular choice (17 percent) favored the staff's performance in May as the better indicator.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?