The Pulse: D-backs' starting pitching likely to 'level out in the middle'
Through March and April, the team's rotation was at the bottom of every major statistical category, including ERA, WHIP, opposing batting average and fewest quality starts.
The tide seems to have turned, though, for Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter and Wade Miley over the last 20 games.
With the help of Mike Bolsinger and Chase Anderson, the D-backs' starting five has combined to produce an ERA of 3.08 ERA, a 1.104 (WHIP) clip and eight total wins since April 23.
So, we at ArizonaSports.com asked our readers whether the staff's performance in April or May was a better indication of how things will turn out at the end of the 162-game season.
Of the 643 readers polled, a third option suggesting they'll level out somewhere in the middle of both months was far and away the most popular choice, garnering 75 percent of the vote (480).
There were some signs of optimism, however, as the next most popular choice (17 percent) favored the staff's performance in May as the better indicator.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.