The Pulse: D-backs' hiring of Tony La Russa a 'home run'
On Sunday, May 18, we asked what fans thought of the Arizona Diamondbacks' hiring of former manager Tony La Russa to be the chief baseball operator of the organization.
With four options from which to choose, and 747 people weighing in, the most popular answer by far was the most positive option: "Home run!" as 482 readers (64 percent) said. Another 20 percent gave a simple round of applause, clicking on "Good hire."
That left 10 percent of voters who said, "Depends on how much control he has," and just 6 percent of readers were indifferent, clicking on "Won't make a difference" -- perhaps skeptical of this move being able to change around the perceived stagnant culture in the clubhouse.
The hire seemingly came out of nowhere Saturday, and D-backs players responded positively, while Doug Franz of The Doug & Wolf Show wrote that it's an important first step for this franchise in trying to turn itself around.
La Russa began his career as a manager in 1979 with the Chicago White Sox and he didn't let up until 2011 with the St. Louis Cardinals. He has taken teams to three World Series titles, and he is a four-time Manager of the Year. Click here to see some of the other numbers that stand out from his storied career.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?