The Pulse: D-backs' hiring of Tony La Russa a 'home run'
On Sunday, May 18, we asked what fans thought of the Arizona Diamondbacks' hiring of former manager Tony La Russa to be the chief baseball operator of the organization.
With four options from which to choose, and 747 people weighing in, the most popular answer by far was the most positive option: "Home run!" as 482 readers (64 percent) said. Another 20 percent gave a simple round of applause, clicking on "Good hire."
That left 10 percent of voters who said, "Depends on how much control he has," and just 6 percent of readers were indifferent, clicking on "Won't make a difference" -- perhaps skeptical of this move being able to change around the perceived stagnant culture in the clubhouse.
The hire seemingly came out of nowhere Saturday, and D-backs players responded positively, while Doug Franz of The Doug & Wolf Show wrote that it's an important first step for this franchise in trying to turn itself around.
La Russa began his career as a manager in 1979 with the Chicago White Sox and he didn't let up until 2011 with the St. Louis Cardinals. He has taken teams to three World Series titles, and he is a four-time Manager of the Year. Click here to see some of the other numbers that stand out from his storied career.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.