Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder A.J. Pollock named National League Co-Player of the Week
In six games last week, Pollock led the National League in batting, posting a .500 (11-for-22) mark. The center fielder also led the NL with a .909 slugging percentage during that time. It is the first time he has been named the Player of the Week.
On Saturday, he collected a career-high four hits, going 4-for-6 with two RBI and three runs scored as the Diamondbacks rolled to an 18-7 victory over the rival Dodgers. The 26-year-old outfielder followed that up with a 3-for-4 night Sunday -- his third multi-hit game of the week -- as the Diamondbacks beat Los Angeles for the second night in a row, winning their first home series of the campaign.
Pollock is hitting .315 with nine doubles, five home runs, 11 RBI and six stolen bases in 130 at-bats this season.
As for Puig, he had a .348 batting average (8-for-23) in six games last week, posting a league-leading 10 RBI and league-high-tying three home runs. The 23-year-old right fielder also tied Pollock for the NL lead in total bases (20) while finishing second behind the D-backs outfielder with an .870 slugging percentage. This is the second time the second-year pro has received the weekly honor.
Puig is batting .322 with nine home runs, nine doubles and 35 RBI in 152 at-bats in 2014.
The two players with each be rewarded with a watch courtesy of Game Time for their Player of the Week honors.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.