D-backs manager Kirk Gibson on Tony La Russa: 'I want him to be open and honest with me'
While the four-time Manager of the Year's role with the organization will strictly be front office-based, it's hard not to wonder how the team's current manager, Kirk Gibson, viewed the personnel move.
Gibson, a Manager of the Year award recipient in his own right back in 2011, has fallen on hard times in recent years, guiding the D-backs to back-to-back .500 seasons, not to mention its current 18-28 mark to begin 2014.
But ever the professional, Gibson was gushing about the hire Tuesday.
"When I was a young player, Tony whenever he'd play Detroit, he'd come over and talk to [Tigers manager] Sparky Anderson all the time," Gibson recalled on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns & Gambo. "I was always a guy who was looking for information, so I know a lot of his principles came from a guy who taught me the game and others who I competed against.
"His success as a manager speaks for itself. It's impressive the way he goes about things and the way he competes. I look at it as a positive thing for us. I believe he can help us. I'm very fortunate to have him to give me suggestions."
While Gibson has played for some of the most-accomplished skippers to ever grace a dugout in Tommy Lasorda and Anderson, the fifth-year manager said he's not above adding another mentor.
"One of the first conversations we had the first day he came in, he said he didn't want to give me too much information," said Gibson. "He said he wanted to analyze things and get through the season. He knows how hard it is to get through the season.
"But I said, 'No, I welcome it. I want to know anything that you see. Hopefully we can have a relationship.'"
It's a relationship Gibson hopes will come with open communication at all times.
"I want him to be open and honest with me," said Gibson. "Ultimately, make me better and that will make our team better."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.